Green Tips--What is Ecotourism?
Real Ecotourism is a phenomenon that produces tangible political and economic results: educated and motivated visitors who return to their homes ready to do something about our common crisis on our dissolving planet, and developing communities whose residents have the commitment and the resources to exercise the ongoing economically sound stewardship of the rainforest, beaches, and wetlands.
Real Ecotourism …
• is a way to protect the rainforests, beaches, and wetlands of the area;
• creates sustainable economic opportunities for locals;
• helps visitors learn about culture and support local people;
• helps all people to stay living in harmony with and offering stewardship toward nature;
• keeps tourist dollars in the community they are visiting;
• keeps the town authentic for the next visitors to come and enjoy;
• maintains positive relationships between tourists and local people;
• raises consciousness about international conservation issues – deforestation, petroleum, human rights, waste, contamination, etc.
Ecotourism means a constant struggle to defend the Earth and to protect and sustain traditional communities.